When it comes to preparing dishes, most of us only consider a bunch of ingredients and overlook the suitability of cookware, resulting in hassle in cleaning and food wastage. To avoid this situation, you should consider cookware for your kitchen that suits your cooking methods.
There are several aspects that you must consider before buying for particular cookware. Among them, first of all, is the cookware’s material. It is common to make cookware using metals such as aluminum, stainless steel, cast iron, copper or special alloys. Each of these materials has its significant benefits and drawbacks.
In this way, we have come up with two types of material here including Ceramic Pan and Stone Pan. This two non-stick cookware are made with a porcelain coating. If you are planning to buy cookware between these pans for your kitchen and have a dilemma which can be better for your cooking job then you have come to the right place. We are going to break down their differences so that you get a clear idea of which is better Ceramic Vs Stone Pan.
About Ceramic Pan
Ceramic pans gained popularity among users over the years because they are less toxic than Teflon pans. Contrary to what the name implies, ceramic pans are usually made of metal, not ceramic. Depending on the type of cookware or material used in it, these pans may have a ceramic or clay-based coating.
The majority is that these pans are ideally one of the best pans for day to day cooking tasks. This is because they are more durable, not inclined to scratches, and is long-lasting. This type of material is divided into parts: Ceramic-Coated Cookware and Solid Ceramic Cookware.
- Ceramic- Coated Skillets
As the name suggests, these types of skillets have a ceramic finish coating and aluminum base. The coating has a nonstick capability that’s why it is popular more than other types.
- Solid-Ceramic Skillets
This type of pan is constructed from a solution of clay and water. The solution is poured into a mold and placed in a kiln-based oven for hardening.This is why solid-ceramic skillets or ports are also known as kiln-baked cookware. After being toughened, it is enclosed with a coating that makes it nonstick stain & rust-resistant. Solid ceramic pans come under the category of 100% ceramic.
Read this also: Ceramic Vs. Teflon Frying Pans
What are the benefits of Ceramic Cookware?
After gaining popularity, this cookware is considered by both home cooks and chefs for their kitchen. Since there have a lot of benefits to using ceramic pots and pans. Let’s know about them:
- Ceramic cookware is perfect for healthy cooking as they are getting rid of dangerous toxins and chemicals like PFOA.
- Due to having a nonstick surface, they are safe for manual cleaning, also dishwasher safe in case of a high-graded pan.
- The pan is made from ceramic doesn’t require oil, butter or much fat for cooking. Since they have a nonstick base; it is good for those who are health conscious.
- They are lightweight and portable to carry from place to place.
- They don’t react to any acidic food or ingredients such as tomato, vinegar and lemon.
- They are incredibly resistant to food stains and rust.
- Ceramic cookware is popular due to the fact they come in a wide range of designs and colors.
- It distributes heat evenly and heats up even faster, thus you can save a lot of time during cooking.
- Ceramic is a good source of heat conduction, so you can cook food evenly from bottom to top.
What are the drawbacks of Ceramic Cookware?
Besides the advantages, unfortunately, there are some drawbacks to ceramic pots and pans. These include:
- Their pots or pans cannot withstand high temperatures.
- Ceramic cookware coating can damage if using metal utensils or harsh scrubbing for cooking and cleaning.
- This cookware is disposed to chipping.
About Stone Pan
The stone pan consists of a carbon steel core coated with a porcelain coating, although it is named stone/granite, none of it is used, only because of its appearance. They have a coating that looks like granite. The reason for comparing them with granite is its solid black surface with white and brown spots. It is designed in such a way so that you can use it at extremely high flames. That’s why they are considered long-lasting and more durable than ceramic pans & pots.
What are the benefits of Stone Pan?
Modern designed stone pans are not as durable as older pieces of this cookware. Regardless of that, it has a lot of benefits. These include:
- Just because it features stainless steel base, it is not inclined to rust.
- With Stone Pan, you can easily handle acidic food or ingredients without reacting with chemicals or affecting the taste, taste and smell of the food.
- Stone Pans don’t consume odors as their material is nonporous.
- It doesn’t contain dangerous and other toxic material that may be risky.
- The pan’s steel core heats up quickly, saving you time while you cook.
- The cleaning of the stone pan is very easy just due to the fact it has a smooth surface. Well, the surface is safe for dishwasher and manual cleaning.
- It has a sleek and aesthetic appearance that helps to decorate the kitchen and complements the kitchen decor.
What are the drawbacks of Stone Pan?
Just Like every other cookware or pan available in the market, stone pans have numerous drawbacks. These include:
- Because they are not lightweight, using stone pans on a glass stove is not recommended because they can break them.
- These pans do not retain heat once they are taken off the stove since they have thin layers.
- It is advisable not to use metal utensils with a stone pan because it can lead to rusting or damage of coating.
- According to user reviews, the food sticks to its nonstick surface.
- The outer coating of the pan may not be completely safe it is chipped.
- Like ceramic cookware, a stone pan isn’t available in a variety of colors and designs. Choices are limited when it comes to choosing a stone pan.
- They are a bit expensive.
Difference Between Ceramic Pan and Stone Pan
Now, it’s time to know the key factors that differentiate a Ceramic Pan from and Stone Pan. Without this factor, you might feel confused to choose between these two. Let us make a proportional difference between the two in terms of special features.
- Cooking Performance
Well, why do we choose any cookware so that we can cook food? Thus, we expect them to be effective in fulfilling their purpose. The coatings enclosed on both ceramic and stone cookware perform well in the kitchen and prevent the meal from sticking. This cookware allows you to cook food without using oil, butter or fats, without altering the smell or taste of the ingredients or food. They both have a nonstick coating, so you’ll be able to make healthier meals for yourself and your family. Furthermore, they are also efficient for cooking that will save you energy and time too. If you are going for a granite pan, make sure its internal metal is aluminum or not. Since aluminum increases the durability of cookware and helps in even heat distribution.
- Compatibility with Temperature
Stone cookware is only used at low heat and medium-high temperatures. Ceramic cookware, on the other side, also has the same facility. But, it can be used at high-temperature as compared to the stone one.
A nonstick pan comprises PFOA and PTFE chemicals, but both ceramic & stone pan doesn’t contain these chemicals. This makes them completely safe for regular cooking. However, as a precaution, be sure to check whether particular ceramic or stone cookware is rid of these chemicals. More than that, stone cookware is more Eco-friendly than a ceramic one. The material used to produce these pan are sourced from natural resources. In addition, their manufacturing process is not harmful to the environment.
Both ceramic and stone pan has the same type of durability. But, stone pans are more resistant to scratch as they have a toughened surface than ceramic pans. On the other hand, ceramic pans may lose their coating than stone pans, are also dishwasher safe. Most stone cookware is more prone to rust than ceramic. That mean, you will not be able to use them for long as they may become dangerous.
In terms of aesthetic appearance & looks, ceramic cookware is an excellent option. This is because they come in all colors, textures and designs. On the other hand, stone pans are mostly just black or come in minimal color options. Serving food from oven to table, there is no better option than the ceramic pan. It will also be perfect to complete the kitchen decor.
As we have mentioned earlier, stone pans are more expensive than ceramic cookware. Therefore, if you would think to buy a pan for regular use, it is recommended to go with a ceramic pan.
|⊕ GreenLife Ceramic Frying Pan||⊕ Michelangelo Stone Frying Pan|
|Check Price||Check Price|
Choosing cookware between the two is largely based on your preference, practices, and cooking needs. After extensive research, we have a conclusion that the right choice would be stone pans as they are strong, safe, scratch-resistant and durable.
Other Pans Comparison:
Hi, my name is Ashley Robinson. I’m a food blogger and a part time chef in Food & Drink Junction, Denver. With my blog I’m sharing information & tutorials about different kinds of cooking pans.